TILE MAGIC STANDARD TILE ADHESIVE TECHNICAL DATA SHEET
TILE MAGIC STANDARD TILE ADHESIVE is a grey high strength cement-base tile adhesive for fixing ceramic (soft baked and lightweight ceramic tiles only) wall and floor tiles for interior installations and is specially formulated for tiling onto either cement plaster or concrete surface.
TILE MAGIC TILE ADHESIVE is a pre-mixed precise blend of hydraulic cements, shrinkage compensation chemicals and fillers. The product can be applied at varying thickness.
|With Water||With Bond|
|Mix Ratio||20kg / 5 ℓ||20kg / 5 ℓ|
|Open Time||Approx. 30 Minutes at 23 oC||Approx. 30 Minutes at 23 oC|
|Correction Time||Approx. 30 Minutes at 23 oC||Approx. 30 Minutes at 23 oC|
|Application Temperature||Approx. 10 to 35 oC||Approx. 10 to 30 oC|
|Operating Temperature||0 to 100 oC||0 to 100 oC|
|Pot Life||Approx. 3 hours at 23 oC||Approx. 3 hours at 23 oC|
|Final Set||24 hours||24 hours|
|Resistance to damp||Poor||Good|
|Tensile Adhesive Strength||28 Days||28 Days|
|Storage Life||12 Months when stored in dry conditions||12 Months when stored in dry conditions|
- New floor and wall surfaces must be allowed to cure for the minimum periods as tabled below to ensure that movement due to shrinkage does not affect the tiling.
- New Concrete – 6 weeks
- New Plaster – 2 weeks
- New Screed – 4 weeks
- New Render – 2 weeks
- The substrate must have a moisture content of 5% or less before tiling commenced.
- Ensure that the surface is clean, dry and free of all traces of laitance and contamination such as loose particles, oil, dust, waxes, bitumen, paint, grease, weak cement screeds, weak renders, sealing compounds, previous adhesives etc.
- Enamel and PVA painted surfaces, gypsum, bitumen and existing tiles that are not soundly bedded, vinyl and novilon must be removed. Approximately 80% of the surface must be chipped before applying the adhesive or primed with a mixture of TILE MAGIC PRIMER mixed with TILE MAGIC GOLDEN FAST SET to form a slurry. Apply with a builders block brush, allow to dry prior to applying the tile adhesive. (1-part Tile Magic Primer to 2 parts Golden Fast Set tile adhesive or 1.5 parts ordinary Portland cement (by volume).
- Organic growth must be killed and removed using an effective fungicide.
- Dense, smooth off shutter and power floated concrete and smooth plastered walls should be acid etched to obtain a sound keying mechanism.
- Rinse surface thoroughly with clean water after etching.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
- Add approximately 4 parts of tile adhesive to 1 part clean water or gradually mix 20kg tile adhesive to 5 ℓ of clean water.
- Mix to a creamy consistency, allow to stand for 5 – 10 minutes, stirring again WITHOUT mixing more water and use immediately. Pot life after mixing is approximately 3 hours.
- NB: Never add more liquid to a mix which has been left standing for too long, as this will compromise the integrity of the adhesive.
- For wet conditions or where heavy duty strength is required, replace water in the mix with TILE MAGIC TILE PRIMER in ratio of 20kg.
- Ensure that the tiles are dry and the backs are free of dust and contaminants.
- Spread adhesive with a notched trowel to a minimum bed thickness of 3mm on walls and 6mm on floors. Bed tiles firmly into wet adhesive using a rubber mallet. The entire back surface of the tiles must have full contact with the adhesive.
- NEVER USE THE SPOT METHOD WHEN APPLYING THE ADHESIVE.
- DO NOT BUTT JOINT TILES.
- Bed tiles firmly using a Rubber mallet. When tiling floors or exterior walls ensure that the tile is in full contact with the adhesive.
- Do not tile over structural, expansion or cold joints in the background. These joints must be extended through the various layers to the surface.
- Remove all excess adhesive from the grouting joints before drying has occurred.
- Ensure that the panel movement joints and perimeter joints are raked out and all adhesive residues removed before the adhesive dries.
- Always leave grout joints between tiles; at least 2mm wide between ceramic wall tiles and 5mm wide between ceramic floor tiles.
- It’s important to allow for differential movement in all tiling applications so the inclusion of Tile Panel Movement joints, Structural Movement joints and Perimeter joints is essential.
- Tile panel Movement joints should be located in both directions at maximum 5 meter centres for interior surface bed and wall applications, and maximum 3 meter centres for suspended applications and exterior applications.
- Movement joints should also be located around the perimeter of all floors, in all horizontal and vertical corners, against obstructions fixed to the structural background and over all discontinuities in building materials, e.g. at interfaces of concrete and brickwork. In addition, movement joints should be located around any fixtures protruding through the tiled surface such as columns or stairs. The joints should be at least 5mm wide and extend through the adhesive and tile layers. All construction / cold joints and structural joints in the background must be extended through the adhesive and tile layers to the surface in the form of tile panel movement joints. With regards to structural joints, the full width of the structural joints must be respected and extended through the adhesive and tile layers to the surface.
- Allow at least 24 hours before grouting commences, depending on atmospheric conditions.
- Ensure that the joints are free of tile adhesive residue or any other foreign or loose particles.
- DO NOT GROUT WITH NEAT CEMENT.
A 20kg bag of wall and floor TILE MAGIC ADHESIVE will cover approximately 6 m2 using 6mm x 6mm notched WALL TROWEL and 4 m2 using a 10mm x 10mm notched FLOOR TROWEL. (Actual coverage will be determined by site conditions, workmanship, etc.)
- Ensure that the above instructions are adhered to al all times and not adulterate the product in any way as this could cause failure.
- People with sensitive skin should wear rubber gloves. Seek medical attention if irritation or discomfort persists after contamination with adhesive. In case of eye contact, wash well with clean water and obtain medical assistance if discomfort persists.
- Do not ingest.
- Do not discharge into drains.
- Keep away from children and pets.
- Clean all equipment immediately after use with potable water.
- Structural movement joints must be respected and joints must be provided for.
TILE MAGIC ADHESIVE is supplied in 20kg double lined moisture resistant bags.
TILE MAGIC ADHESIVE is guaranteed when used in accordance with correct product application and instruction procedures.